Saturday, February 4, 2012

February 4 - Candid


Candid photography isn't my forte - I worry about people feeling annoyed that I have taken their photo, but sometimes things like this happen and I can't resist.
The organ grinder and the little girl were chatting on a street in Lyon, France. He was asking her whether she would swap her teddy for his monkey, she hugged the teddy tight behind her mother when he asked that! (you can see it behind her head)
For this image, shot in bright daylight, I wanted the antique look that the man portrays, so I desaturated the image by about 30% then added a couple of antique layers, wiping it away from the figures 100% on one layer, then about 30% away from just the faces on the second. I am amazed at what I am learning in photoshop by doing this challenge. I really like this effect on what was an interesting - but too bright and light image.

13 comments:

  1. This is a great image and you achieved your intention. PS In this house they are Gymea Lilies, you come and argue with Sally - I won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, she sounds scary ;) Gymea lilies they can be ... white gymea lilies :)

      Delete
  2. Even though the girl's face isn't visible, the emotion of the scene is well portrayed by your processing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand shot, and the processing is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've captured a really nice moment in time. Well done.
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great processing and a really nice capture....great image

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot! I simply ♥ candid photography!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you caught this snippet of their conversation, this is a great candid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully processed and a wonderful capture. Thanks for sharing your technique....like the results!

      Delete
  8. This is a fine moment and the tones you ended up with give such a warm feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this moment you captured...you did a fantastic job for not liking candid...and I love the processing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One can see the teasing spark in his eye and the child's not-quite trusting and somewhat defensive story. I've been reading alot about photography lately, and one theme I see repeated is that a good photo tells a story. Yours certainly fits that criterion.

    ReplyDelete