Monday, February 20, 2012

February 19 - Clouds






Clouds - I have been looking at a weather book recently that has images of every type of cloud ... I fear it may become a new photographic obsession! Had to look through the files to find a couple of photos here as of course the weekend was clear and cloudless...
The top, almost B&W image shows an apparently rare mammatus cloud formation (named this because they look like breasts) taken in Bathurst NSW. I liked how the one from Lightning Ridge, an opal mining town, looks as though the mullock heaps on the ground are being reflected by the shapes of the clouds in the sky. Of course there is also the iconic windmill against a cloudy sky and the other two are taken from our garden across the hills that surround our farm.

9 comments:

  1. What a nice variety you had in your files. I especially like the top photo as I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that type of cloud before. But perhaps, I've not paid close enough attention! It's amazing how they blanket the whole sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where in Bathurst was the top image taken? The clouds look unreal! The clouds in the third image are gorgeous! Is that a natural light reflection, or was the colour added during processing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mammatus was taken at Mt Panorama - we had a storm before this, and it was such an unusual sky I couldn't resist a photo. The third one is basically sooc, with a bit of cropping and small contrast boost.

      Delete
  3. All wonderful cloud images . . . the color in the third is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those clouds...I have heard about the mammatus but never had the privilege of seeing them...great example of them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all kinds of clouds...especially love the ones w/ color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some amazing clouds in your neck of the woods. The ones on top are truly funky--I've never seen anything like that, the ones in the third photo looks like they are issuing from a volcano.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great variety of clouds, I too have never seen mammatus clouds save in books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the second time I have seen them - the first I didn't have a camera - was so cranky because it was an absolutely spectacular formation (made the front page of the newspaper) this time I had the camera :) but not as spectacular a sky :(

      Delete