Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22 - Comfort




When we go camping these days we mostly like to do it in comfort, so after years of throwing a tent in the 4WD, we bought a campervan (RV). Now it's like having a little luxury apartment when we go bush. It's nice to have a comfortable bed, shower and loo. The kids gave us a hard time about 'glamping' instead of camping, but they borrow it for their surfing safaris and road-trips, so it can't be too bad ;)

So in this first photo we had just set up in a bush campsite in the Border Ranges (on the border between Qld and NSW) it's happy hour and the wine is poured, the chairs are set up, the mozzie-spray is on the table and the carpet snake is comfortable in the corner ... oh ... maybe we are not so comfortable now ... let's just check on that snake ... yep, a beautiful big coastal carpet python. Took some photos (of course) and sat back with some wine and cheese ... now we were all comfortable again. The snake stayed for a few days, no doubt digesting whatever he had eaten before we arrived (a previous camper maybe?)

14 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be comfortable after that sight lol He does make for a cool picture though...(actually the picture alone makes me rather uncomfortable) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about Tammy I explained to her kids that "Some snakes can't Talk, and just bite you to say Hello"! That carpet snake is truly gorgeous and I too would love to have one in my campsite, Even in a Hoochie, No Mice GUARANTEED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd have passed out had I seen him, smakes are my pet hate, can't even see them on TV!!!! They give me the creeps, even seeing your photo!! Great photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes....are they harmless or what???!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm - they are non-poisonous (unlike some other Aussie snakes) but not harmless - they can bite of course, but mostly they squash their prey then swallow it whole. Big pythons can eat wallabies, which are the size of about 2 year-old children, but mostly they do go for smaller prey ;) This one is not large - despite being over 2m long (about 7')

      Delete
  5. OK, you are much too casual about this! Although your camp set-up certainly looks nice! Great little story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never again will I complain about the raccoons that invade our Wisconsin campsites. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After 9 years of tent camping and 6 with a pop-up, we bought a 19 foot hybrid travel trailer. With it, were transverse the US (and parts of Canada.) I can well understand your pleasure in your RV! And viewing wildlife close up and person is part of the pleasure. (Unless the wildlife has 8 legs..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do some RV travel in the US and Canada - we saw some fabulous 'rigs' last time we were there.

      Delete
  8. Oh my....my comfort level just went down. Even though snakes are #1 on my list of things to avoid, our son had them for pets, along with the mice families to keep them fed. I was glad when he moved out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much as I enjoy seeing them in the wild - a snake as a pet would be beyond my comfort zone too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too close for my comfort. I'm taking moth balls next camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Campervans are great, everytime i see a photo like this I miss mine.... but I would not like your campercompanion. Guess you are much more used to having snakes around. However I loved having my house with me and being able to stop anywhere for eating or sleeping. Very common in Sweden and lot's of Germans visit Sweden in campers each summer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see others that like camping as well.
    We've done it for many years and now we have one about the same length as yours but as we own a pickup truck the camper is a pull behind affording us a little more comfort and the use of a vehicle if we need one camping...I.E. drag the canoe/boat to another lake.

    ReplyDelete