Friday, February 3, 2012

February 3 - Busy






I just had to get back to the birds :)
A parent's work is never done - and this mother oriole has been busy feeding, feeding, feeding - I am amazed at the size of the grubs she can fit into those babies! She also cleans the nest, picking up baby droppings and flying away with them. The family have flown the nest now - great timing as it is raining buckets and I don't feel like standing in the rain holding the camera to my eye for half an hour just to get a couple of shots... but it was addictive watching the little ones grow. Missed the last ones of babies balancing on the edge of the nest and flapping around as I had manually focused and bumped it off a bit as I leaned against the tree - blurry babies :(
Photos show her feeding babies over about a week so you can see the little ones growing

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful series, masterfully taken and presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Ron, it's been a privilege to see these babies grow up, and my that's a fat green grub in the last frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure is! and it went straight into one of those babies (certainly stopped it calling out for food for a few minutes)

      Delete
  3. I have been wondering how your babies have been doing! More incredible shots (have I mentioned how jealous I am?? I want baby birds)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even better - we have a baby white-faced heron that has been growing up here too - his parents are easily spooked, so I only have a few photos when he is just standing near or in the nest and they are away getting food. When he started to fly he went to the next tree along the riverbank and his folks kicked up quite a fuss until they found him (not really sure if it's a boy, just calling him that)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series of images....really shows your dedication to the exercise...great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding!!!! The angle you shot from gives us such a great view....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such outstanding bird photos. How close were you to the nest?? They are so clear with so much detail that it is almost like being there.

    ReplyDelete