Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20 - Beginnings




Beginnings ... you just knew I was going to stay with my birds didn't you?
Lapwing plovers lay their eggs on the ground, then defend their 'territory' by swooping and screaming at anything that comes close, including people and cattle. When they hatch, the babies are just fluffballs on little stick legs - so cute. Their mama sits down and they snuggle underneath her feathers for warmth and protection. I'm lucky to have watched several seasons of plover-raising and though we don't always find the nest, we do get to meet the babies once they have hatched, though the latest arrivals always scamper to get under mum if they see me...

and just one more for today - these kurrajong seeds in their hairy pod-nests carry the beginnings of large shady trees with beautiful creamy-outside, rosy-inside bell-flowers. Random fact for you - the iconic Belltrees station ('ranch' for those of you in the USA) in the Upper Hunter Valley of NSW was named after these beautiful trees. http://www.hunterriverexplorer.com.au/articles/belltrees-station.html

7 comments:

  1. Great shots...those seed pods are amazing...great colours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you got that close to lapwing eggs without losing an eye or an ear or even a head, they are ferocious in defence. We have a couple who have just moved into our area, the magpies are flustered. Love the Kurrajong seed pods, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ferocious they are indeed - as are magpies - a mix of both would be terrifying. I got the image by watching carefully to see where the nest was, then waiting until the birds had left it unattended. Then I drove fairly close in our old farm 4WD (they don't swoop on cars), ran over, took a few shots and dashed back to the car. I love getting photos of the nests and birds around here but don't like to disturb the birds, so I spend a while observing their behaviours before I try and get a photo. If the birds are stressed at all, I go away. If they are just watching me, I move slowly and try and get some photos.

      Delete
  3. How fortunate (and apparently brave of you!) that you were able to get that snap of the eggs and to follow the lapwings as they hatch and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Iris, really like the kurrajong seeds in their pods. Great capture, nice and sharp and well exposed.
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you are getting these shots...I am truly jealous! Amazing details, amazing images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the detail you were able to capture in these amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete