Monday, January 16, 2012

January 16 - Athletic




Athletic - hmmm, could go with some waterskiiers, runners or gymnasts, but when I think of athleticism I think of the birds and animals here - so the images of the day are a huge wedge-tailed eagle balancing on the wire fence of our orchard so that he could snack on a fruit bat that had died there, a friendly brushtail possum who climbed around the vines near our campsite in the Border Ranges NP recently and some galahs who spent ages entertaining me with their gymnastic abilities until I just had to grab a camera and photograph them.

10 comments:

  1. Great photos of the wildlife - and some birds I've never seen before. I like the one of the eagle with prey best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of attributing athleticism to animals. I can totally see your point, though! The eagle is quite large and it is demonstrating great balance and strength. Nice perspective and shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting pattern produced by the galahs. I love the diagonal presentation against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crown, I just figured I would put a spin on the athletic word :) The eagle was AMAZING, balancing on the wire - s/he is an enormous bird and heavy (you can see how the tensioned wires are bending) and yet it balanced, using tail and wings to help counterbalance when it took a bite from the prey. I thought I had better keep to one of the less gory photos here... Galahs are so funny, they are always spinning upside down and climbing around - to watch them in the rain is fabulous as they take a shower and clean under their wings by hanging in trees and making a gymnastic event of it. Possums climb everywhere - this one also walked a 'tightwire' along a wire fence to get to our cooking utensils to see if there was food left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They could all be acrobats in the circus...wonderful intepretation of the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great photos but my fave is the top...wonderful color and such energetic-looking acrobats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots...my fave is the top one

    ReplyDelete
  8. woo hoo i can comment now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the top photo with its cheery colors and the symmetry of the poses of the birds on the wire.

    ReplyDelete