Wednesday, April 4, 2012

April 4 - Experimental




I have been playing with overlays and colouring in PS lately - I wish I had more time to experiment! These are some horse photos - we live in the 'horse capital of Australia' and many of the country's biggest and best horse studs are near our farm. The mother and baby were snapped at one of the properties down the road, I just loved the matching heart shaped blazes :) but the gorgeous old arabian in our paddock was a boarder here for many years and would run to see if I had a treat for him whenever when I went anywhere near!
The B&W was done with a B&W adjustment layer and a light 'glow' filter, while the others have had overlays done with various combinations of warm texture photos and a displacement map border.
I have always loved to take photos of old walls, tree barks, sandstone and other rocks and these are coming in handy for the experiments, but you can also download textures from flikr where photographers make them freely available. I'm having fun using overlays for grungy effects.

15 comments:

  1. The serenity of the first is wonderful. The Drama of the third should be framed and sold (In quantity) I love it, B&W is my cross to bear!
    I demand that you post more of these horse shots. Seeing that You live in Randwick (Racing Central) LoL but I am unaware of scenery like that in the Heart of Sydney! Tee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! :)
    LOL - not 'racing central' but 'breeding central' is where we live, so not in Sydney but traditional 'country NSW'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tones and lighting in the third one are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom and child is a sweet shot, I love the way you've captured the arabians mane and tail and the overlay effects are super stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. The third image is my fave....great lighting and tones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the processing with textures on the last image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the BW image. It has so much "color" - nostalgia and movement. Great effect for tis picture

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love photos with backlighting and horses and the combination of both in the bottom photo is just so awesome...that backlit mane/tail is super. Your sunflare also gets top marks too. It also has a very nostalgic feel that is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three wonderful images, Rose! I find the B/W especially appealing as it seems to have a mystical quality about it!

    As an aside, I was also out shooting horses for my next post. Looking at yours, I'm sorry I wasn't able to capture an "action" shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like sitting at the computer and playing with overylays, filters, and creating effects! For some reason that seems to relax me! You did an awesome job with all of these pics...I really love the black and white...that glow filter really makes the picture come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the middle one--it looks like something from a portentous dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All lovely images. Playing with overlaying textures is great fun and can make fab images but you still a good base like these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trying to imaging having such beautiful neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your experiments turned out great! I like the last one most for the warmth in it

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great series, love this.

    ReplyDelete