Friday, April 20, 2012

April 17 - Fear




Fear - this one was a challenge when deciding what image to use ... so I decided on stretching skills with another composite.
I'm generally OK with snakes but Aus has the most deadly ones and some of them live here on our farm. I took a close up (with a long lens) of this eastern brown snake - the simple name belies the aggressiveness and deadliness of this reptile which is said to be the second most venomous snake in the world. This beastie was on the grass near our back door, so of course, safe inside and fear under control, I got out the camera! I haven't seen it since and with winter coming I'm hoping it just leaves for good.
Thinking about the theme for today I fished out the images and cropped one closely to just around the eye - added a few colour layers to give the right 'mood' to the image, then found a quote and layered it on top. Flattened and served up as my offering for today's theme.
It was creepy just working on this image ... I'm OK with pythons and such - even red-bellies are fine but these snakes give me the chills.

Ron's suggestion sent me back to the snake file to add the images above - the 'original' eye and one of about 2/3 of the snake - I guess from when it went across the top of the steps that it was at least 1.8 metres long (about 6')

8 comments:

  1. Great Image. Could I suggest a changing slide, which would show the snake at intervals with the lettering removed (Good as it is) Some of out Northern friends would be freaked out as much bu the detail of the scales as the death in the eye.
    Just an idea mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't do slide show but have added a couple of other images above...

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy smack!!! I can't imagine living so close to these kinds of creatures...the layering is so effective, the original eye is pretty powerful for fear as well, tho the first is 'prettier' still scarey,love NM's quote I used to have this on my fridge when my life used to be filled with my fear~this guy is dangerous and beautiful, fantastic shot!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel lucky that we don't have either dangerous or that big snakes over here! Like the closeup of the "evil eye" and the quote is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes...and I shriek sometimes when seeing a garter snake in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG a fantastic macro (as creepy as it may be)...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first image is a cracker....the eye looks very intense

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will not show this to my husband, who is wicked afraid of snakes. I'm not, but here's something chilling about that glassy reptilian eye in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete