Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 16 - Disorder





We set up camp as dark fell and in the morning, found this disordered pile of bones and stuff just outside the door, which on closer examination wasn't disordered at all - it's a spotted bower bird's precious collection of bones and shiny things - carefully placed there to attract the females to his bower 'stage' where he can perform his show.
In the first photo you see the bower - in the second, his tail is just visible... in the third, he is walking around near the campsite, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get a nice close photo - this is on full zoom.
The back of his head has a bright pink patch of colour, which you can see in the last ,very enlarged, not-very-clear image.

11 comments:

  1. I want to come back as a Bowerbird, just to learn how to be artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He brought you presents! :) How cool to wake up to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I would love to see his performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting post...looks like he was very busy while you were sleeping!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was already there - we just parked closer than we would have if we had known :) but he was certainly busy cleaning and straightening when we were away, then he made himself scarce every time we came back from a walk.

      Delete
  5. super post, I'm very envious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lichen, shiny things and a bird - how very cool!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog, sorry you had to set up a WP acct to post. I have no idea why. Maybe someone can tell me what to add to my approved list?

    Kim
    http://kandrew2012.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been having trouble posting to all wordpress sites and now that I set up wordpress, I can only comment with that address - no problem, but probably confusing for everyone when a 'new' person pops up :)

      Delete
  7. This is something one usually finds in encyclopedias or nature shows. Here you are bringing nature right to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this on TV before...awesome display and collection....great find

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting way to get a girl, using bones.

    ReplyDelete