Thursday, January 12, 2012

January 12 - animal


OK, we live on a farm so this one is easy! still, rather than dogs, horses or cattle, you would like to see our other animals wouldn't you?? We have kangaroos, wallabies, platypus, echidnas, snakes, goannas, frogs, quoll, wombats (speaking of wombats, did you know wombat poo is like little bricks, not round) ...
So this is my animal of the day! A lace monitor who lives in the casuarina trees by the river. He is about 2m long and has claws the size of my little finger. Sometimes he comes up and has a stroll through the orchard to see what he can find but mostly he just hangs out in a tree. Enjoy :-) I like the camouflage effect of his skin against the tree bark.

10 comments:

  1. Well camouflaged, but your sharp focus pulls him out--and does the pink of that tongue flicker. (PS: square poop???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, square poop - I will paste a picture into my elements village gallery - look in Iris's photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.... holy cow this is a great, sharp and brave picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claws the size of a little finger? Yikes . . . Great processing to bring out the camouflaged laced monitor from the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWZER...the clarity is amazing..it feels as if he could turn his head and lick me lol Awesome, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! Interesting but I'm glad we have only traditional farm animals on our farm! Great photo of Mr. Monitor though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've commented on your site before but don't see a place for it tonight....hence the reply button! Such a variety of interesting animals the way you captured the monitor is wonderful...great detailed close-up!

      Delete
  7. He is just beautiful, they are amazing creastures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely and sharp...great shot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love him!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete